The purpose of the position papers is to enable the delegates to engage in good substantive debate at the conference and to ensure that each delegate is fully familiar with their nation. These papers also allow delegates to learn the valuable skill of summary. Because there is a page limit (and font size limit) the delegates must organize all of their research and find the pieces that are the most important. It is important to be able to successfully incorporate one’s thoughts into written form during debate. Submission of a position paper will be a key
factor in determining a delegate’s level of preparation for the purpose of selection for awards.
Each background guide provided by the GTMUN staff has a section (Committee Directive) that specifies where the Director would like the debate to focus. Substantively, the position paper should address the pertinent background information to the topic, the country’s stance on the issue, and specific proposals to resolve the problem
The requirements for the position papers are detailed below. The Directors will not read papers that do not conform to these guidelines. Part of the purpose of the papers is to allow the delegates to summarize the most important part of their research, it is not meant to serve as an exhaustive report.
When the staff reads the papers, they are looking for the following things:
- Understanding the position of the nation in regards to each topic
- Original and knowledgeable thinking in terms of a solution to the problem
- Clearly stating the nation’s policies
- Correct use of grammar and spelling
- Proper citation of sources
- Maximum one page per topic (citations included)
- Maximum 12 point font/Minimum 10 point font
- Margins must be: 1" top/bottom 1" right/left
- Heading must include only: Committee, Delegation, Topic
– Please do not include School Name or Delegate(s) Name(s)
- Must contain citations
Position papers are due TBD at 6:00 pm, and are to be submitted online. Please sign in using the email address with which you submitted your application. Your password will be the same as your email address.
- Position Paper Example (PDF, 20K)